Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pesto

My 2 basil plants have done very well this year. Look at all this! I must make a dent in it! How about some pesto! I'm making a double batch so I need 4 packed cups of leaves.



Be sure and look on the backsides of the leaves. Those pesky insects!




Well, not a big dent in my plant but a dent none the less.


The stripped stalks go into the compost bin out back.






I gave the leaves a good rinse and patted them dry with kitchen towels.





Next I toasted up some pinenuts in a skillet. Don't walk away while toasting them; they can burn in the split second your attention is diverted! Mmmm, smells good in here!



Whirl up in the food processor along with fresh garlic.





Mix in the freshly grated parmesan cheese.






I put the pesto into ice cube trays and freeze them. When frozen solid, I pop them out and put them into zip top freezer bags. I'll take out as many as I need for a recipe.

I made enough pesto to fill 1 1/2 ice cube trays.


Yummy!


I got this recipe from the food network. Here it is for those of you who are interested.

Giada's Pesto

2 cups fresh basil--packed
1/4 cup pinenuts, toasted
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 cup (approximately) extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese


In food processor pulse everything except olive oil and cheese until finely chopped.
With the food processor running, gradually add enough oil to form a smooth and thick consistency.
Transfer to a bowl and stir in parmesan cheese. Season with more salt and pepper to your taste.
Can be made 2 days in advance. Store in the refrigerator.


Note: This tends to turn dark after being exposed to the air so if I am not freezing this, I will put the pesto in a container and place plastic wrap directly on top of the pesto to seal it from the air.


11 comments:

  1. And I can attest to the goodness of this recipe! I owe you back your container. My one basil plant did fantastic this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great - no basil here just at the moment, but I will plant some! Mine actually self seeds and regrows!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. My basil has all flowered and the bees love it, but there are still plenty of leaves so I suppose I could still make some. I might just have to give that a try! Couldn't be much easier, and sure would be less expensive than buying it at the store!

    MGM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never have thought to freeze pesto! Thanks for the tip. Your basil plants look wonderful and I am sure the pesto is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMMM... Pesto, yum,I'm jealous, Basil is one of my favourite herbs and its not the right time to grow it here. I freeze the leaves on their own and add to pasta sauce or whatever, it gets me through winter.
    Have a good weekend
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love fresh pesto! You just can't beat summer basil. A good dish of pasta too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what I am going to do today. I just bought some pine nuts too.
    What kind of recipes do you put the frozen pesto in?

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, I am coming over. Nice Idea with the pine nuts, I have used walnuts...so plebian. LOL I am most impressed by your compost pile. Hugs, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have also made pesto with walnuts instead of pinenuts. Works equally well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum I love pesto sauce! I have a basil plant on my kitchen window sill as I love the smell so much.

    ReplyDelete