Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tailgating bag

My friend's son CJ is a huge fan of our local professional soccer team, the Columbus Crew, and enjoys tailgating before games. He asked me to make him a bag to hold 2 small propane tanks for his portable gas grill. He wanted a pocket or two for other misc. items and it to be in black with yellow trim since black and yellow are the team colors of The Crew. Well, as with any other custom order, I had to mull it over for awhile to get the right pattern in my head.
This is what I came up with. I used black denim for the body of the bag. For a neat effect, I put in a zippered diagonal pocket on the flap. Yellow zipper of course. Parachute clasp for closure. Also adjustable web strap with another parachute clasp.


With the flap open, another zippered pocket with yellow trim. You can also see the key fob I sewed in the side.


This was the trickiest part of making up the pattern. How to include a divider so the 2 propane tanks don't bang against each other. This part really burned up some brain cells! (thanks Stephanie for helping me brainstorm!) First off, I used denim covered timtex stabilizer for the divider. Attached the divider to 2 seams in the front and back of the lining. The divider is not attached to the lining bottom. In fact, I left about a 1/2-inch space at the bottom. Enough space to put in a piece of plexiglass for stability (can you see light reflecting off the plexiglass?)

I installed a 3-D zippered pocket on the back of the bag.

Both sides of the bag have pockets with elastic tops and pleated bottoms. Great for carrying water bottles.


Whew! Well, I'm pleased at how it turned out. Hopefully, it will work out well.




That's all for today. Talk at you later. Rumi

14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Rumi...it's professionally done and I love all the detailing. You really should consider pattern writing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic! I am sure this will work out just perfect. What a great pattern and design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Rumi you are very clever. I am sure he will love it and to think that the colours also match his favourite team. You might get more orders from other tailgaters.
    Is tailgating where they sit on the back of their trucks in car parks and have BBQ's before the game starts? I may have seen something about it on 60 minutes I think.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. UNBELIEVABLE! Rumi, you continue to amaze me with your sewing skills and creativity! Did you know all your life you had this talent and were just saving it for "retirement"? Well, it's utterly fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so professional Rumi and strong. I had to look at new rucksacks for son for school and was amazed at the lack of quality of some. Eastpak were one of the best but I think even your bag would put them to shame. Well done hun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow - what a great bag - i agree with everyone else...it's so professional! you must write up a pattern for these and start selling them! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great bag...you listened and then came up with what he needed....I am sure he is thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're very good at this. it can be difficult to hand-make an item for a young man. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW Rumi, you put us all to shame! It looks VERY Professionally Done. What a great job. Hugs, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Rumi....you are just too DARN GOOD!! I am
    VERY impressed with this 'manly' bag. You truly have a 'gift' to have figured this out...hope you got LOTS of 'moola' for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great bag, gosh you sure are one clever lady...

    Jodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you thought of everything Rumi!! What a professional looking bag. Love the extra pockets. Functional and attractive - I am sure the customer was thrilled!

    ReplyDelete