Sunday, July 26, 2009

Creative Mess

Hello Friends,

Well, the ball and chain quilt is at the quilter's. I really have not done much since; as far as sewing is concerned. I had to catch up on things I had neglected while I was madly sewing away on that quilt--like vacuuming and shopping for groceries!

Since I don't have anything cool to show you, I will show you something awful---my sewing room! (Good thing my neat-nik mother won't see this!) I am always in wonder of seeing beautiful sewing rooms with everything organized and lots of elbow room to work. I would love to have one of these spaces. Most of my house, while not immaculate, is pretty presentable--with the exception of this room.



OK, not too bad. This is my pegboard above my sewing table.



This is another story! As surprising as this sounds, there is a design board under all that mess! Unfortunately, I have been using it for a bulletin board for patterns, trial items, templates etc, etc. Everything but a design board. A second machine sits below the board. One of these days I hope to get my design board back. My cutting table.




Close-up of the clutter on the end.



Overflowing shelving.



A second wall of shelving. I had good intentions. I have each larger bin labeled with a color. Unfortunately, I have more fabric than I can fit in the bins! Shoebox size boxes contain trims, elastics, bias tape, buttons etc, etc. Top shelf has baskets of patterns (most of which I will never make!)



Further down that same wall. Books, craft magazines, pillow forms among other misc.






Drawers full of fabric, yarn, interfacing etc.


Shocking, I know! Here's the worst part. Am I showing you this as a "before" so I can show you a beautiful "after". Well, not likely. I would be fooling you and myself! Why am I showing you this mess then? Hmm... I'm not so sure myself. Maybe it's to compare this to an ugly catepillar. Beautiful things can come out of it.

12 comments:

  1. And beautiful things do come out of it. When I seen a perfect sewing room I wonder if anyone really uses it! I've been attempting to organize mine...no luck today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh look at all those fun things, it looks like a store, can I came and shop!!!??
    If you clean it up, you will never find anything again, leave a good thing alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Rumi - you know what I am like! In my working life they used to say 'clean desk, empty mind!' I admire you for being the way you are and I bet you know where every scrap of fabic is - I don't, lol!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Stephanie, beautiful things do come out of it. I didn't think it was to bad until i saw the shelves. You are lucky that you dont have my husband-he is a neat freak and if i leave anything unfinished or a mess on my desk in MY room he comes in and cleans up, thinking he has done the right thing, often throwing away bits of paper that to him are rubbish but to me..well. I bet you know where everything is and if your room has a door who cares.
    xx Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you the mess is the ugly caterpillar and the beautiful things we create is the beautiful butterfly........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Rumi, From this old lady you can hear creativety never looks neat or as my generation would put it "grass doesn't grow on a busy street" Love your projects. Keep them coming. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, I don't think it all looks to bad at all. Seems pretty organized to me. Just the picture of the "overflowing shelves" could use a touch up. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a wonderful treasure trove to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think it is that bad and you are creating, my husband always says he loves seeing my rooms in a mess as he knows I am enjoying myself, I am learning to let go.

    cheers
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rumi, I'd called it an organized chaos, and only you know where everything is.

    Texmorg do you think I could borrow your hubby to get my garage organized LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a huge sewing room - love all the shelving and tubs you have (something I could do with more of!) I don't think that creativity and tidiness always go hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. without those shelves it would be much worse. i have shelves and big bags and piles and piles and it's the hardest part of what we do. trying to keep it organized. you're doing a pretty good job!

    ReplyDelete